Longwood Robotics
Longwood Robotics
Longwood Robotics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Longwood Robotics

Forum for team members

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Arm design (kitty's)

Go down 
+8
KetchupsParents
Ketchup564
Admin
AceLucky
Clotifoth564
ratpac564
RyanM Mechanic
kittycat
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
kittycat

kittycat

Location : hmmm in the land of the great zombie charmander...i.e idk

Arm design (kitty's) Empty
PostSubject: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 6:59 pm

for those people working with me on my arm design
Back to top Go down
RyanM Mechanic

RyanM Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Let me in on that... what do u have in mind?
Back to top Go down
kittycat

kittycat

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 7:54 pm

we have several designs going most of which focus around an extending arm with a grappling hook attached to a rope, originally the design was going to be telescoping pvc with the rope on the inside but now we are looking at other possible materials and extension systems
Back to top Go down
RyanM Mechanic

RyanM Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 7:55 pm

Oh yeah, I heard about that during the meeting, what do u plan to use??
Back to top Go down
kittycat

kittycat

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:02 pm

we are looking at angled aluminum and extruded aluminum at the moment
Back to top Go down
ratpac564

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:02 pm

well me and dan both feel that angled aluminum is the next best thing
Back to top Go down
Clotifoth564

Clotifoth564

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Yeah, I heard that and to be honest, it looks like one of our best prospects for arm-ry. Cool

Telescoping PVC might not work, as said many times before, but a stronger material such as, well, any sort of metal tubing might have a chance at working for this situation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eogamer.com
RyanM Mechanic

RyanM Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:03 pm

True, durable definately alien
Back to top Go down
kittycat

kittycat

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:04 pm

alright so if we can figure out a means for getting it to extend we'll be in buissness, any ideas?
Back to top Go down
ratpac564

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:06 pm

we can pnumatics only shoot the hooked piece
Back to top Go down
RyanM Mechanic

RyanM Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:07 pm

Pnematics works for me
Back to top Go down
Clotifoth564

Clotifoth564

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Yeah, pneumatics. Say, out of curiosity, are hydraulics particularly hard to implement on robots?
Back to top Go down
kittycat

kittycat

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:09 pm

explain to me how that would work please kitty not so hyper atm vv plus if you could draw it out that would be nice as well, though if we arnt going to use pneumatics anywhere else on the robot which id think has been decided yet though it may have been we should think of a means to do it with a motor and a gear, possible connecting the pieces to a chain and extending them that way is what i was thinking though i gotta work out how
Back to top Go down
kittycat

kittycat

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:11 pm

umm hhydraulics arnt allowed XD pneumatic cylinders are and it doesnt have to be so long as we make sure we are doing it right other wise it can become a pain in the rear
Back to top Go down
ratpac564

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:12 pm

charles your brillient we can run a chain on the end piece to have it extend we now just have to draw and prototype the idea
Back to top Go down
Clotifoth564

Clotifoth564

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Kind to think of it, all this talk about the pneumatic pistons makes me revise my earlier statement >.>

Perhaps a jaguar motor dedicated to rotating (and thus extending) the telescoping arm?

And lol @ hydraulics' not being allowed.

EDIT: Blast, pre-empted!
Back to top Go down
AceLucky

AceLucky

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:14 pm

Hardly yeah and if we shoot the grappling hook with rope might not work cause the power we use if too much wont work and less power will drop on our robot and damage it.
Back to top Go down
kittycat

kittycat

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:15 pm

lols what was ur earlier statement on pnuematics and thanks i try ^^ anyway we should have more then one idea tomarrow that way we can compare and wiegh the positives and negatives of all of them which should lead to a superior design
Back to top Go down
AceLucky

AceLucky

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:16 pm

good idea we'll do that
Back to top Go down
ratpac564

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:16 pm

thats why we r puting the rope in an enclosed area and the graple hook is going to be connected to the end piece
Back to top Go down
Clotifoth564

Clotifoth564

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:17 pm

AceLucky wrote:
Hardly yeah and if we shoot the grappling hook with rope might not work cause the power we use if too much wont work and less power will drop on our robot and damage it.

I thought it was a hook attached to a winch somewhere lower, rather than a shot grappling hook?

Also; my earlier statement was in support of pneumatics. I rescind that statement >.<

I'll probably not write any of these down and be really out of clues tomorrow xD I still gots ta do my homework, after all.
Back to top Go down
kittycat

kittycat

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:17 pm

presumably the arm would be "shot" in a manner that wouldn't jeopardize the robot that is one reason y the hook must be extended from the robot projectiles arent allowed XD we can still consider pneumatics though but im not sure i understand how it would work
Back to top Go down
kittycat

kittycat

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:18 pm

u arnt alone with the homework there my friend and yea the hook is connected no projectile metal too risky we might hit someone we dont like XD
Back to top Go down
Clotifoth564

Clotifoth564

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 pm

kittycat wrote:
presumably the arm would be "shot" in a manner that wouldn't jeopardize the robot that is one reason y the hook must be extended from the robot projectiles arent allowed XD we can still consider pneumatics though but im not sure i understand how it would work

I'd rather the space for pneumatic components be saved for the firing mechanism rather than the more secondary function. >_>

Like I said, where's the shot? It seems more like a transfer of the hook from the edge of the top of the arm to the tower bar.
Back to top Go down
AceLucky

AceLucky

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 pm

Clotifoth564 wrote:
AceLucky wrote:

I thought it was a hook attached to a winch somewhere lower, rather than a shot grappling hook?

Also; my earlier statement was in support of pneumatics. I rescind that statement >.<

I'll probably not write any of these down and be really out of clues tomorrow xD I still gots ta do my homework, after all.

Uhh you have to write it down Lang said so and i mean hook attached with winch instead of rope. wrong statement affraid im a king
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arm design (kitty's)   Arm design (kitty's) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arm design (kitty's)
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next